Thursday, November 1, 2012

The Detox Diet


I’ve been hearing a lot about detox diets/or cleanses recently which has sparked my interest to learn more.  I started reading a few books like The Great American Diet and The New Detox Diet. 

What is a detox?  With the amount of processed foods and sugar Americans consume, our hunger tends to never be satisfied because we don't have enough fiber from fruits and vegetables in our diets.  I am definitely among that list.  I love sugar….ice cream being culprit number one! By fasting from certain foods for a period of time you are helping your body release toxins from your organs, sinuses, and skin.

Cleanses can help rest or heal our overloaded digestive organs, increase energy, aid in weight loss, and help cure many medical conditions such as food and seasonal allergies, headaches, diarrhea, skin conditions and eczema.  Those that know me well know that I have a sensitive stomach and suffer from allergies.  I have always wanted to try an experiment to see if eliminating the sugar and processed foods from my diet would help improve these symptoms.  However, I continue to have that bowl of ice cream even though I know I’ll pay for it later! 

There are many different types of detox diets plans. 
*smoothies
*juices
*fruits and vegetables with small amounts of chicken or fish
*and variety in length of time it lasts 

After completing the cleanse the biggest mistake people can make is going immediately back to their normal diet which can throw your body off causing an upset stomach. A transition back to your regular diet must be made by eating soups, lots of fiber, and baked chicken. 

So my detox journey begins today!  My cleanse diet will consist of fruit and vegetable juices or raw fruits and veges from Thursday through Saturday.  I will track what I eat, any weight loss, and consume half of my weight in ounces worth of water throughout the day in between juices.  Drinking lots of water is an important part of the cleanse.  Look forward to sharing my results with you!


Have any of you ever tried a detox cleanse before?

What types of sugar foods can't you resist? 


No comments:

Post a Comment