Sunday, October 28, 2012

Tips for new runners


Everyone starts running feeling the same way.  You step out the door feeling good, and after a block or two the heavy breathing sets in that makes you feel WAY out of shape.  "Why am I even trying?" you think.  "I'm never gonna be a runner." Its a tough road at first...but if you stick with it and are consistent for a few weeks, it will pay off and get easier!  

Here are a few tips I learned from when I started running:


  1. Invest in good shoes.
You want to make sure you start out wearing good shoes.  Shoes that are very used can lead to injuries and knee pain.  Make sure you start out on the right foot! 

  1. Purchase comfortable clothing
When you first start running you may not always feel good, but you want to at least know you look good!  If your clothing is comfortable, it’ll be one less thing to hold you back.  Try to run in fabrics other than cotton.  Also invest in good running socks like Balega or Smartwool made of fabrics to prevent blisters.  I find a lot of good deals at Target and TJ Max on running clothes for a reasonable price, and purchase socks at Scheels or Fleet Feet.

  1. Set a goal
Setting a goal of running your first 5K, 10K, or half marathon will give you a lot more motivation to keep going.   Once you are signed up for a race and pay for it you are more likely to stick with it!

  1. Be Consistent- Follow a plan
There are numerous running plans online or at Runners World.  Running at least 3-4 times a week will help you notice results, instead of running once and then waiting another week before you get back out.  You will get discouraged if you don’t notice things get easier because you’re not consistent in your running.  I would write down on my calendar how many miles I had to run each day.  That way when things came up, running was part of my schedule and I had to work around the time I needed to get my run in before doing other things.

  1. Hydrate
You won’t feel as thirsty if you are well hydrated the day of your run. 

  1. Eat 2 hours before
Don’t eat a big meal right before you go for a run.  It may make you feel sluggish or sick.  Eat about 2 hours before you head out to make sure your foods digested!

7.  Plan Fun Routes

I often go to Map My Run to plan different routes.  It gives you a street map of the area you live and calculates the distance for you.  Saves you from getting in your car and driving the route afterwards to see how far you went. 

Hope some of these tips help!


Did you notice that Rachelle is has a new look?   Please have patience as I continue to work on it, but take a look at the new layout and let me know what you think!





No comments:

Post a Comment