Thursday, November 8, 2012

10 Things I Couldn't Travel Without


There are certain items that I almost always carry with me.  Whether it be traveling by plane or driving, these things can always come in handy!

1.  Steri-Strips-  You never know when
an emergency may present itself and you might need these!  When hiking one day my dad fell and split his elbow open on a rock.  Without these wonderful things he may have needed stitches!
2. Ziploc Bags- I use these for multiple purposes.  If traveling by plane I make sure to put all my toiletry bottles inside a bag in case of explosion.  No one likes shampoo or lotion covering your clothes!  I also sometime use large gallon size ones to seperate my socks and underwear in my suitcase, and then use them for dirty clothes afterwards.  They also are just handy for carrying snacks on the trails.
3. Camera- I go everywhere with my handy little camera.  It has been dropped near mountain ledges, ocean shores...it has survived it all!  I will often attach it to my backpack for easy accessibility while hiking.  You never no when you might need to quick capture a moment. 
4. Headlamp- I have learned the hard way to always carry this along on a hike.  Sometimes sunset can happen quickly and you never want to be left hiking after dark.  For saftey its always a good idea to carry this with you.  It also can be handy for finding things in the car and setting up your campsite after dark.   
5. Notebook and Pen- I am a list maker.  If I get an idea or thought I better write it down immediately or I it will be gone within minutes. 
6. Nalgene- I never go anywhere without it!  If I am flying, I will carry it in empty and fill it after I go through security for during the flight.  If I am driving I will refill it at gas stations whenever I fill up my car.  Not only is it healthier than drinking soda while traveling, but it can save you money in the long run!

7.  Eddie Bauer Travel Bag-  I know there are a lot of toiletry bags out there, but I love this one.  I have found it to be the perfect size for me and what I need.  I also love the ability to hang it with the hanger.  When you are camping it is essential to have a bag that will hang when getting ready in those cramped bathrooms and showers at KOA's. 
8. Small cutting board- When driving across the country we would often make sandwiches at rest stops along the way.  We were always trying to figure out what to make them on.  If you make them on top of the cooler, it can be frustrating if you forgot an ingredient to pull out of it when you have alot of stuff on top already.  Bringing along a small plastic cutting board (that can be purchased at Walmart) has been a life saver.  Place it on top of the hood of car, on your lap, wherever....and you can easily make sandwiches while traveling.
9. Packing Lists- Now this might not be an item that I bring along traveling, but I love my premade packing list.  Whenever I go away it has every item I might possibly need and I can just go down it and cross off items if I dont want to bring them.  If you are ever in a rush to pack this is wonderful!  You can also make different lists for different types of travel....camping vs flying.
10. Healthy Snacks- I don't like to go anywhere without snacks.  You never know when hunger may hit.  It can also be very expensive to eat at the airports.  Hard fruit like apples, string cheese and healthy crackers can make a great snack along the way.   I discovered my new favorite cracker recently Crunchmasters.  They are gluten free and made with all healthy ingredients.  I use them to eat hummus and it tastes amazing!  I have found them at PickNSave stores and I believe Woodmans.

Happy Trails!

2 comments:

  1. i always pack tons of snacks and food too! my friends/family make fun of me saying it takes up more of my suitcase than actual clothes....lol. :P i'm not only a list maker but i have to keep paper and pens on hand because i am a constant doodler. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good hearing from you Cait! haha yes you sounds like me. I'll end up with back pain someday from carrying too much in my purse... :) Have a great weekend!

      Delete