Thursday, November 15, 2012

Winter Running: First Chilly Run of the Year

I ran outside for one of the first times in the chilly Wisconsin 30 degree weather earlier this week.  You know its chilly out when you can see your breath in the air as you run.  Here's me all geared up and excited before I left.
With winter running comes gear that is essential if you are going to face the elements. 
During the fall I tend to decide what to wear by adding 10 degrees to the temperature that it is outside.  During the really cold winter temperatures I refer to Runners World What To Wear guide.   But here are some basic pieces for anyone's closet.

1.  Leggings-  I have New Balance Spandex/Polyester leggings.  Its nice when they have the reflectors on the side if you are ever out running in the dark.  These make a great base for keeping you warm.  In the really cold months I wear these underneath another pair of looser sweat pants.
2.  Moisture Wicking Long sleeve- A tighter moisture wicking long sleeve is always a good base to start with on top.  Its nice to have a thinner one to tuck into your pants, with another thicker one to wear over the top as a second layer.  I like to wear half zip up long sleeve shirts over the top.
3.  Hat- Find a nice hat that will cover your ears.  I hate the feeling when you get back from a run and your ears hurt from being so cold.
4.  Gloves- These are Mizuno running gloves.  They keep your fingers from freezing, but are nice and light and thin.
5.  Gaiter-  If its really cold and windy I will also wear a gaiter around my neck.

Some other items on my Christmas list are:

1. Nathan Reflective Vest- Always a good idea for running in the evenings since it gets dark so early now.







2. Nike Distance Convertible Jacket- I want this jacket! Over the top of your two or three layers, a wind resistant shell jacket is a good idea.  With this jacket you can also zip of the sleeves and it turns into a vest which is nice in case you get too hot. 






I could spend all my money on workout clothes and gear, I love them so much! 
So don't let the chilly weather keep you from getting out there! 

No comments:

Post a Comment