Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Quinoa & Broccoli Casserole

I'm sure most of you have heard the recent craze about quinoa. Quinoa is a gluten free grain that has numerous health benefits. It is complex carboyhydrate which won't cause spikes in blood sugar, extremely high in protein, non fattening, along with many other nutritious factors. So I thought I would see what this amazing powerfood tasted like.

I found a recipe for a Quinoa Brocolli and Chicken Casserole:
1 1/2 Cups Quinoa
1 head brocolli (boiled)
3 tbsp. Flour
3 tbsp. butter
2 Cups Milk
1/4 tsp. garlic powder and cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to season
8 oz. Cheddar Cheese schredded
2 Cups shredded chicken

First I boiled and thawed my chicken breasts, shredding it into small pieces.
In another pot I boiled the quinoa. The box I bought says that it is pre-rinsed, however unless noted, quinoa always needs to be rinsed after boiling. Otherwise it may keep a bitter taste. I placed 3 cups of water in the pot, brought quinoa to a boil, and then simmered until it soaked up all the water.
In another pot I placed melted butter, flour, garlic and cayenne pepper, and whisked in milk until it thickened. Then I added in the cheddar cheese until it was melted.

In a large bowl I combined the cooked chicken, quinoa, brocolli, and cheese sauce mixture. I placed it in a 9x13 inch pan that was greased. Baked at 400 degree for 25 minutes.
After its cooked it looks similiar to a chicken and rice dish.  Tasted pretty similiar too, but healthier.  Its a great way to see how you like quinoa.


Newlywed Moments

4 comments:

  1. yum!!! this looks so delicious!
    thanks for linking up, so thrilled to have your cute blog on my sidebar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing! I will definitely have to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel- it's great and you won't be dissapointed. Let me know if you try it out!

      Delete