Thursday, December 6, 2012

Benefits to a Running Partner

One summer I ran almost every training run with a coworker/friend.  I was fortunate to find someone who was close to the same running speed as me.  It was the best year of training I remember ever having.  We would take off for runs after work or meet up at a trail.  Prior to that I always had the mindset that I couldn't run without my ipod in my ears.  I definitely never thought I could handle talking through a run without concentrating on my breathing.  But what I discovered is that there are actually many benfits to having a running partner. 
1. Shared memories.
We were doing some trail running at a nature preserve when we got caught in a rainstorm.  The trail quickly flooded and we gave up even trying to keep our feet dry.  We were soaked from head to toe (luckily we had some blankets in the car to sit on driving home!)  We laughed so hard as we made huge splashes and continued to run anyway.  While it may not have been the best conditions for a run, its experiences like this one that wouldn't be nearly as memorable if you didn't share it with someone else.

2. Makes time fly by.
There were so many runs when we would get into a great conversation and before you knew it we were done with our run!  If you are continually checking your watch and think that time seems to drag on by when you are running, get a running partner!  It will make the time so much more fun.

3. Safety.
I never like to run in secluded areas or on wooded trails by myself, however, those areas can make for the best runs.  Running with a partner can help make you feel more safe when you get on that trail.  You also always have to be aware of the potential of getting injured whenever you run, especially on trails.  While you should always carry a cell phone with you and wear something like a Spibelt, having someone with you will help in emergency situations. 

4. Keeps you committed.
You are more likely to show up to run on days you aren't feeling like it if you have a runing partner.  

5.  Fitness benefits.
When you are forced to learn to talk while you run it helps you not get so winded and helps your breathing over time.  At times when you are wanting to give up or slow down, a partner will keep you running! 

So while it can be hard to find someone at the same fitness level as you, talk with a friend and see if you they would want to meet a fitness challenge with you.  Whether its running your first 5k together, or a marathon- you are sure to have a great time, develop a deeper friendship, and gain fitness benefits from it!

1 comment:

  1. I love you as a running partner :) Time flies and we solve all the problems of our lives and the world :)

    ReplyDelete