Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The Precipice and Beehive Trail- Maine Part 2

I spent some time trying to find the most challenging and exciting hikes in Acadia.  During my research I read alot about the Precipice Trail.  This hike reminded me alot of Longs Peak in Colorado, except being 17 miles shorter. lol.  It was about 1.5 miles to the top.  We did a lot of scrambling as we followed the blue painted dots. 
As we got higher they had alot of metal rungs to grab ahold and ladders to climb up the ledges.  I could not get over the beautiful views and colors.  It seemed like the leaves had changed even within the few days we were there.

 
We laugh looking back at the next couple pictures.  Here I am looking calm as I pose for the picture....

.........then here is my protective husband squishing me against the wall, afraid that I'll fall off the ledge.

The Precipice Trail brings you to the top of Champlain Mountain at 1,058 feet.


The trail was actually a little more scary than I had anticipated.  There were a couple wet spots on the cliffs which make it more challenging.  Since I wasn't in the mood to go back down the same way, we took the South Rim Trail along the top of the mountain to the Beehive Trail which was another couple miles.

From the top of the Beehive we got this gorgeous view of Sand Beach and the lake below.  I could have stayed there for hours just looking at the beautiful fall colors and taking it all in.




Ryan said this was his artistic photo of me.


So then I tried getting artistic too and set up the camera on the trail.

Time for a snack! Anyone for an apple?


After completing both the Precipice and Beehive trail, we still weren't finished for the day.  The trail ended about 1.5 miles away from where we parked the car at the start of the Precipice...so we had to hitchhiked on the side of the road back to our car.  No one even offered to pick us up....but it was such a beautiful day that we didn't mind! :)


1 comment:

  1. Nice. The lake kind of reminds me of Lake of the Clouds in the Porkies.

    ReplyDelete