Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Raised Tough

When asking newlyweds about their plans for children, many times they will comment about wanting a boy first.  Why you may ask?  Many times it’s a fathers dream to take his little boy camping and teach him how to fish.  Mothers often want a boy first in order to be the protective “big brother” for the girls that will follow.   In that respect, I guess you could say that my family got it perfect.  My older brother J was born four years before me, and then eight years after me was my little sister D. 

Some of you may have heard the stories about what it was like for me to be raised with an older brother.  Oh, it was never dull.  Like the time he tied me to my grandma’s dog and then took off running.  My parents looked out the window to find me being dragged through the garden and then smashed against a tree.  He was in a little trouble that night. 
Or I could tell the story about the numerous secret potions or medications he would create for me to eat while playing doctor, only to have me go running to the bathroom throwing up.  When camping we would dream about making our own secret cabin in the woods, and would tromp off waving goodbye to our parents with an ax and rope in hand.  I’ll never forget the morning a park ranger tapped on our camper door asking if the lumberjack was in town.  That quickly put an end to those tree cutting days. 

But no matter what, I would always go along with whatever adventurous scheme he may have come up with.  I would do anything just to spend time with him.  Life could’ve been a lot different growing up with an older sister to play dolls and dress up with.  While instead, I grew up playing guns and robbers, throwing baseballs, and tromping through the woods.  He may have gotten me into trouble and injured from time to time, but I cannot deny that he was, and still is, the first person to be that “protective” big brother when I need him.  I remember at one of my first jobs there was an employee giving me a hard time.  After hearing about it, worried big brother offered to pay me an allowance every week until I found another job so I could quite.
Today I would consider him to be one of my best friends.  We have played indoor soccer together for the last 8 years and will often go on trips together.  Whether it is a weekend getaway to go skiing, antique shopping, and camping, or our vacations to Ireland and California, we always have fun together. 
The play hard, toughen up attitude that my brother instilled in me, has shaped who I am today...and to be honest, I wouldn’t have it any other way.  I’m so glad that God gave me a big brother.  Don’t take your siblings or the time with them for granted.  Whatever stage of life you are in remember to tell them you love them!  Love you J and D!  

Pulling my teeth out




No comments:

Post a Comment